Urban League for Bergen County was established in 1918 with the mission to enable minority group members and disadvantaged people to cultivate and exercise their full human potential on par with middle-class Americans.
To achieve this goal, ULBC facilitates programs in education, employment, housing, urban affairs, economic and community development, and social welfare designed to:
- Strengthen the growth and development of individuals and families;
- Conduct in-depth research to identify the social welfare needs of ULBC’s constituency and establish plans for corrective action;
- Collaborate with existing institutions, both public and private, to become more responsive, and provide services that will meet the needs of all groups in the community;
- Mobilize and organize minority communities to work for developing alternatives to systems which have been identified as inadequate; and
- Develop new and strengthen existing institutions committed to assuring the effective delivery of community services to all Americans on an equal basis in accordance with their needs.
To accomplish this mission, ULBC intervenes at all points in the social and economic structure where the interests of racial minorities and the disadvantaged are at stake; to train members of these communities in the strategies and techniques for securing change, in the status quo; to advocate for and with the major sources of power, both public and private, in order to bring about positive and rewarding changes in the lives of all seeking to participate equitably in the American experience.
ULBC will remain true to this fundamental task to assist those it serves in the achievement of social and economic equality. Strategies for achieving this mission will be through academic and social development of children, fostering of economic self-sufficiency, and promotion of racial inclusion. The strategies will evolve continually to meet the challenges confronting our constituency.
* * * * * * *
If you have questions, want to voice your concerns, need assistance with our programs, need to register for an event, or just want to get in touch with us, contact us — we want to hear from you! We’re also on Facebook and Twitter if you want to connect.